02 January 2012

2011 Reading Recap

2011 was a great year for reading, both personally and now that they are getting older, in reading with my kids.  I finished a few books started in 2010, made a dent in some of the Star Wars back catalog, and read at least a couple new authors - including (and finally) - Lewis Carrol, Shel Silverstein, and... Jules Verne!

In general I've always looked at my reading lists from two perspectives, Star Wars and Other.  It's usually always fiction, but now I think I'll need to add a third and fourth categories, and that's for books that I've read with my wife (as we've read together for the past few years), and with my children (and I don't mean little kids stuff - but legit chapter books).  That said, here's a break down of novels and graphic novels read in 2011 per my divisions of Solo Reading (Star Wars and Other), with my wife, and with my kids.

Solo reading - non-Star Wars
  • 2010: Odyssey Two (unfinished from 2010)
  • Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
  • Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters

Solo reading - Star Wars

  • Allegiance
  • Han Solo Trilogy #1: The Paradise Snare
  • Han Solo Trilogy #2: The Hutt Gambit
  • Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
  • Fate of the Jedi #1: Outcast
  • Fate of the Jedi #2: Omen
  • Fate of the Jedi #3: Abyss

With my wife:

  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2nd read-thru, unfinished from 2010)
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
  • Through the Looking-Glass
  • Eragon

With both kids:
  • Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery
  • Howliday Inn
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight
  • Where the Sidewalk Ends
  • A Light in the Attic
  • Falling Up
  • Runny Babbit - A Billy Sook
  • Pippi Longstocking
  • Journey to the Centre of the Earth (originally solo, eventually with son only)
There were also a few novels started that were unfinished that I plan on completing in 2012:

  • Dark Forces #1: Soldier for the Empire (Solo Star Wars - thru Chapter 3)
  • Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (Solo Star Wars - thru "Nightlily")
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (with daughter - thru Chapter 15)
  • The Hobbit (with wife and son - thru Chapter 2)
To summarize, that's 10 solo, 4 with my wife and 9 with the kids - 23 total!

Though ever changing, the current plan for 2012 is to finish the four books from 2011, as well as continue:
  • Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi (Books 4-9)
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces (Books 2-3)
  • Percy Jackson (Books 3-5)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide Series (perhaps finally get thru Book 4?)
  • The Inheritance Cycle (Books 2-4 w/wife)
  • more Harry Potter (w/daughter)
  • more of the Bunnicula series (w/kids)
Other than that, I'm gonna wing it and see what I come across that looks interesting.  I know I'd like to start the Darth Bane Trilogy for Star Wars, but for other stuff, it might be more Jules Verne. Or, it could be a new author I've never read (Terry Brooks, David Eddings), or I might even see what this Hunger Games thing is about (that my wife is shredding through).  

If I'm really bold, I might look at the Wheel of Time series, but then you might have an excuse to call me crazy...

1 comment:

  1. You really should try the Wheel of Time series. There's only one more book yet to be released and once it does I'm going to plow through the whole series again (I made it up to book 10 last time). I've been kinda waiting for the series to finish before tackling it again.

    ReplyDelete